How do you make Ukrainian borscht?
To make Ukrainian borscht, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of beef or chicken broth
- 1 pound of beef or pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make the borscht, follow these steps:
- In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the beef or pork and cook until it is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pot and set it aside to cool. Once it is cool enough to handle, shred it into bite-sized pieces.
- In the same pot, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beets, cabbage, carrot, potato, and chopped tomatoes to the pot. Stir in the tomato paste, dill, vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the shredded meat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve the borscht hot, garnished with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh dill, if desired.