You will write a Harvard Business School case on the topic of Google managing AI, when subject to the Innovator’s Dilemma. Chain of thought: step 1. Consider how these concepts relate to Google. step 2: Write a case that revolves around a dilemma at google about releasing a generative AI system that could compete with search step 3: Write an instructors note
Step 1: Consider how these concepts relate to Google.
The Innovator's Dilemma, as described by Harvard Business School professor Clayton Christensen, refers to the challenge faced by established companies when they need to innovate in the face of disruptive technologies. These companies often struggle to pursue disruptive innovation because they are entrenched in existing markets and business models, and may fear cannibalizing their own products.
In the context of Google, the company has long dominated the search engine market, and its primary revenue source comes from advertising associated with search results. As AI technologies advance, Google could potentially face the Innovator's Dilemma if it develops a new AI-powered product or service that could disrupt its existing search engine business model.
Step 2: Write a case that revolves around a dilemma at Google about releasing a generative AI system that could compete with search.
Title: "Google's AI Innovator's Dilemma: Disrupting Search with Generative AI"
Introduction: Google Inc
. is a multinational technology company that has long held a dominant position in the search engine market. With the majority of its revenue stemming from advertising linked to search queries, Google has become synonymous with online search. However, the advent of advanced artificial intelligence (AI) technologies, specifically generative AI, has presented Google with a critical dilemma.
Background: Generative AI refers to AI models capable of generating new content, including text, images, videos, and more. These models have the potential to revolutionize the way people access and consume information. Google's research division, Google AI, has developed a cutting-edge generative AI system, codenamed "GenAI," which boasts capabilities far beyond any existing AI models. GenAI can understand natural language queries, provide comprehensive answers, and generate content on a wide range of topics.
The Dilemma: GenAI's ability to provide in-depth answers and generate content on demand presents a unique opportunity for Google to disrupt the traditional search engine model. However, the introduction of GenAI also poses a threat to Google's core advertising-based revenue stream. With GenAI, users could bypass traditional search engine results pages (SERPs) and go directly to the generated content, reducing the number of ad impressions and clicks.
Google's leadership team is divided over whether to fully launch GenAI. Some executives argue that GenAI represents the future of information access and that Google should be at the forefront of this paradigm shift. Others worry that launching GenAI could cannibalize Google's existing search business and negatively impact advertising revenue.
- How will GenAI impact Google's core search business and advertising revenue?
- Should Google embrace the potential disruption caused by GenAI or focus on protecting its existing business model?
- How can Google balance the need for innovation with the potential risks associated with GenAI?
- What competitive threats could arise if Google decides not to launch GenAI?
Conclusion: The case concludes with Google's leadership team contemplating the company's next steps. The decision to launch GenAI represents a classic example of the Innovator's Dilemma, where a company must decide whether to disrupt its own successful business model to stay ahead of emerging technologies. Google's decision will have far-reaching implications for the future of search and the broader technology landscape.
Step 3: Write an instructors note.
Teaching Objectives: This case is designed to help students understand the concept of the Innovator's Dilemma and explore how established companies like Google grapple with disruptive innovation. Through this case, students will:
- Analyze the challenges and opportunities associated with disruptive technologies.
- Evaluate the potential impact of generative AI on the search engine market and Google's business model.
- Discuss the strategic considerations for launching a disruptive product.
- What is the Innovator's Dilemma, and how does it apply to Google in this case?
- Evaluate the potential benefits and risks associated with launching GenAI. How might GenAI disrupt the traditional search engine model?
- What factors should Google's leadership team consider when deciding whether to launch GenAI?
- How can Google mitigate the potential negative impact on advertising revenue if it decides to launch GenAI?
- If you were a member of Google's leadership team, what would you recommend and why?
- Begin the discussion by exploring the concept of the Innovator's Dilemma and how it relates to Google's situation.
- Facilitate a discussion on the potential implications of GenAI for Google's business model and the broader search engine market.
- Encourage students to consider the strategic factors involved in the decision to launch GenAI and to evaluate potential outcomes.
- Conclude the discussion by asking students to provide their recommendations and reasoning.
Note: The case and instructors note
are based on a fictional scenario and are intended for educational purposes. Instructors are encouraged to adapt the discussion and questions to suit the specific needs and objectives of their courses.
Additional Resources: Instructors may supplement the case with readings and materials on the Innovator's Dilemma, disruptive innovation, and generative AI. Recommended resources include:
- "The Innovator's Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail" by Clayton M. Christensen
- "The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth" by Clayton M. Christensen and Michael E. Raynor
- Articles and research papers on generative AI models and their potential applications
Evaluation: Instructors can assess student understanding and engagement through class participation, group discussions, and written assignments. Written assignments may include case analysis papers, where students are asked to analyze the case, answer the discussion questions, and provide well-reasoned recommendations.
Final Thoughts: The Google AI Innovator's Dilemma case provides students with a valuable opportunity to explore the complex and dynamic nature of disruptive innovation in the technology industry. By examining the fictional scenario of Google's decision to launch a generative AI system that could compete with its core search business, students are encouraged to critically evaluate the strategic considerations involved in navigating the Innovator's Dilemma. The case serves as a starting point for broader discussions on the impact of emerging technologies on established businesses and the importance of adaptability and innovation in maintaining competitive advantage.
Disclaimer: This case study and the accompanying instructors note are fictional and have been created for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, companies, or situations is purely coincidental. The case does not represent the actual views, decisions, or strategies of Google or any other company. The scenario presented in this case has been created for illustrative purposes and should not be interpreted as a prediction or reflection of real-world events or developments.